Thursday, May 10, 2012

Lyrics of Love and Hate

Indugle me for a minute... (and let me say that if you are reading this I don't expect you to watch all of the videos I have included in this post, but I'd love it if you watched one that you didn't know and left some feedback).

     For a while now I have wanted other people to love this band like I do. When they sing of love, its heartfelt, vulnerable and tender, when they sing of anger, its loud, hard and visceral. I think I love the music so much because there isn't a single emotion in them that I haven't felt over the ups and downs of my adult life. The lyrics are so beautifully crafted, challenging to sing, and clear in what they mean. I post videos on my YouTube page from them that get few to no comments.  Blue October is a "hard rock alternative" band, but to label them as such edges out anyone who might be willing to give them some attention for a few minutes. I'm passionate about this band and literally listen to at least one of their songs every day whether in the car, in the office or while I write this.  I mention Madonna not being my favorite and I get volumes of comments, commentary, and defenses for the Material Geriatric. It's almost like I should be cast out for not worshiping Madge or Gaga. Well I don't. I worship Justin Furstenfeld and his band Blue October for their sheer bravery and honesty to express all the pain joy love loss and fear he is going through.

Some brilliant examples of lyrics that make an impact on me are simple lines like:
 "your mockingbird put dents in me", talking about his soon to be ex-wife filing for custody and divorce while he was out on tour.
"I might have been gone but I never walked out" singing to his daughter.
"I watched closely as the you I knew forgot me" singing about how someone neglected him as a child.

Image from "The Worry List" video
Blogger Chez Pazienza wrote on his blog "Deus Ex Malcontent" the following about "The Worry List", their latest single off of their album "Any Man in America":
 I have to admit that this song had an effect on me -- and for reasons you'll understand almost immediately. Blue October's latest record is all about the crash of Furstenfeld's very troubled marriage, told in vivid detail -- and while I've very much moved on from my own, the songs that deal with his relationship with his young daughter do have a pretty visceral impact and likely will for any man separated by time, distance and circumstance from his child, in particular his daughter.


Blue October's "Worry List"

Because this song breaks my heart. He sings "I see the door close down behind you. I watch your face turn from glow to straight gray. I see the moon go up and it shines this glory on my face. Who would know?" about drifting apart over the years from his wife in The Feel Again (Stay)

I first heard Blue October when "calling you" was played on the radio back in Dallas. It was different and heartfelt, insecure and humble. If you  don't know it, please listen:
Blue October's "Calling You"

Next they had a HUGE hit with "Hate Me" ("I have to block out thoughts of you so I don't lose my head. They're crawling like a cockroach leaving babies in my bed") followed by "Into the Ocean" Both amazing. "Hate Me" is him begging his mother to just let him go, forget all about him because of how he'd treated her when he was abusing drugs.

My favorite songs are when hes ferociously angry and letting loose. "James" is a song about pure anger and hate toward someone. "Dirt Room" is about how revenge and how he should have killed someone for robbing his family of food and success and how we wants to "Cover you with ants bees and honey then take a picture for the cover of our album".

OK I'm finished bombarding anyone who has lasted this long with songs I love. No one I know loves this band like I do. A few kind of like "Hate me" and "into the ocean" but that's usually it.

I respect what he's doing so much. He's working out his issues with songwriting and performing. He gets strength from performing and getting the energy out in such a way so he doesn't do any damage to anyone, especially himself. I would think that gay men especially would admire someone who lets his true feelings be known and puts them out there with such energy passion and feeling... Maybe if Justin put a cone bra or a meat dress on he'd get some gay boys following him and making mega mixes out of his songs.... hmmm...


No comments:

Post a Comment